What is the average cost for adoption? The cost varies depending on how (private /public or private agency / independent etc) and where you are adopting domestically or internationally. But the average cost is between $20K-$30K.
Like many others, we needed help. We had saved some money but during the process of making decisions, the economy went kablooey. But our God, Jehovah Jirah provided. When you are in the midst of His will, He will make a way.
Our adoption was mostly funded in the following ways.
- ABBA Fund
- Both Hands Project (see below)
- Yard Sales
- Baby Bottle Campaign
I have listed below many ways to fund your adoption. So, don’t give up!
Interest Free Loans
- Show Hope
- Caroline’s Promise (North Carolina only)
- God’s Grace Adoption Ministries (matching grants)
- The MICAH Fund (Midwest only)
- International Children’s Adoption Resource Effort
- National Adoption Foundation
- A Child Waits
- Our Creators Hope
- The LYDIA Fund (International Adoptions)
- Katelyn’s Fund
- Orphan Impact
- Cadman Foundation
- The Both Hands Foundation Project – This is possibly the best method EVER. This concept is based on James 1:27, that totally resonated with us. The Both Hands Foundation partners with Lifesong for Orphans. Basically, the adoptive family forms a team of volunteers. The Team will do a home improvement project for a widow. Each member on the team will send Sponsorship letters to friends and family like charity marathon or charity golf, and the sponsorship monies are sent to LifeSong for Orphans, a 501(c)3 tax-exempt organization, which in turn disburse the funds to pay for our adoption cost. (Paid to the agency, lawyers, hospital etc.) This video describes it very well.
- Host a Raffle
- Online Auction
- Frequent Flyer Miles – if you are traveling overseas, ask friends to donate frequent flyer miles.
- Host a ticketed event with a theme and a meal (and add a silent auction and a raffle)
- Online fundraiser such as WePay.com & FundRazr.com– Use blogs, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn to spread the word
- Fundraising Sales (Bake Sale, Book Sale, Gift Certificate Sales*)
- Yard Sales / Garage Sales
- Donate Recycled Items – Redeem cash for old cell phones, ink cartridges etc.
- Catalog Sales – Sign up with an online or paper catalog program where percentage of of the profit goes towards your adoption. One example is www.currentfun.com. Online sales like Just Love Coffee is also popular.
- Hosting a Home Party Sales such as Scentsy, Pampered Chef etc. I hosted a Wiltree Freezer Meal Workshop and raised some money thanks to a friend of mine.
- Baby Bottle Campaign – Get baby bottles from online wholesale. Design a letter that will go in the bottle or, in our case, we printed labels with our information and handed them out to family, friends, business associates…if you can distribute the bottles to businesses, it will go even faster and better. Ask them to fill the bottle with spare change and give it back to you. You be surprised how much you receive. A full bottle on average contains $20-25. Some people even put bills and checks…
We used cupaide.com but it doesn’t seem to be available any more. restaurant.com fundraiser is still available.
Employer Adoption Assistance
You also might want to check with your employer. They may have assistance program. For more information visit www.adoptionfriendlyworkplace.org